The facilitator training was a fun, interactive and well designed course. It provided great interview skills instruction with ample practice space to solidify the concepts. The tools provided were so easy to use and upon completion of the course, I felt confident going into my first facilitation.
Throughout our three-county service area there are certified facilitators who are available to educate, and facilitate discussions and guidance to individuals and families who wish to develop an advance care plan, complete advance directives and designate a health care representative.
How to Become a Certified Facilitator:
- Meet the criteria for attributes of a facilitator:
- Good basic communication skills
- Genuine passion/interest in this work
- Identify and hold personal values in check (do not impose own values on others)
- Able/willing to learn requirement of statutory documents
- Good listening and inquiry skills
- Shows compassion and empathy
- Willing to accept mentorship/oversight for work
- Willing to provide required statistical reporting
- Attend a 1.5-day “First Steps”® ACP Facilitator Certification class (“First Steps” ACP Facilitator Online Core Curriculum must be completed beforehand).
- Demonstrate beginning competency in facilitating ACP conversations through role playing.
- Agree to provide data regarding ACP facilitated conversations to the Honoring Choices Coordinator.
Interested in Becoming a Facilitator?
Upcoming Dates (dates)